Increasing soil acidity - Knowledgebase Question

West Orange, Ne
Question by seidens8
What are some ways I can increase the acidity in our soil? I have 2 new bluberry bushes to plant and want to prepare the soil correctl. Also will things like egg shells or coffee grinds increase the acidity?

Coffee grounds are actually a source of nitrogen but they won't acidify your soil to any great extent. Egg shells are a source of calcium. To acidify your soil prior to planting blueberries you can use peat moss or elemental sulfur. How much to add really depends upon the current pH of the soil. Test it with a home kit or take a sample to your local cooperative extension office for testing. Blueberries prefer soils with a pH between 4.5 and 5.5. If your soil's pH is 7 or above, you'll be better off planting your blueberries in containers where you can control the pH by using a peat based potting soil. If it is between 6.5 and 6.9, you can lower the pH, but it will take a while. You shouldn't try to change it too rapidly but you can start by mixing in some peat moss and spreading some sulfur over the area, then incorporating it prior to planting your blueberries. Hope this ansswers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"