Japanese Maple tree - Knowledgebase Question

Lakewood, Ca
Question by lamal99
I am planning to plant a Japanese Maple tree in a large container. I would like to know what kind of soil should I use.No one seems to know at the store.Thank you

0

It's not an easy question to answer because it depends upon the size of the container and how long you expect to keep your maple in that container. If you are starting small and plan to replant your maple as it outgrows the container, you can use regular potting soil. As the roots of the maple begin to escape from the drainage holes in the container, you'll know it's time to bump it up to the next sized container and use fresh potting soil. If you want to plant your maple in a very large container - such as a half whiskey or half wine barrel - where it will live for many years, use a half and half mixture of garden soil and potting soil. The garden soil will provide some weight and heft to counteract the weight of the canopy so the tree won't be so apt to blow over in a wind storm and the potting soil will keep the garden soil loose, allowing it to drain quickly so the roots won't suffocate. Straight garden soil is not recommended for containers. It can become compacted and become too soggy or it can dry out terribly and be hard to rewet. So, if you use garden soil, mix it with an equal amount of potting soil before filling your container. Hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"