Fruit Trees - Knowledgebase Question

Stratton Mountain, Ve
Question by ellengiunta
I live at Stratton Mountain VT. I want to start a mini orchard. I have order a freedon and a Liberty apple tree, 2 anjou pear trees, two cherry trees, 3 blueberries bushes that get to be 6-7 feet tall, with berries early mid and late season and one bush that is only 2-3 feet tall. When should I plant them and what should I put in the whole for planting?

Thanks,

Ellen

0

Sounds like a wonderful edible landscape! You can plant your fruit trees as soon as they arrive. Don't amend or enrich the soil for them. They will adapt to growing in your native soil. The blueberries are the exception to this rule. They grow best in acidic soils. You can have your soil tested and amend it with peat moss if the pH is higher than about 5.5. If so, mix in lots of peat moss and dig it into the soil about 8-10 inches deep. Blueberries can be planted anytime in the spring when frost is no longer a threat. If you plant them earlier and frost threatens, just cover over the plants to protect them. Once they're established in the ground - by next winter - they should be able to tolerate frost without a problem. Best wishes with your new plants!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Inimitable Ice Plant"