Vegetable Gardening - Knowledgebase Question

South Bend, In
Question by koko16
I plant an 8x8 garden in the same location yearly. I know nutrients are diminished each year. What can I add to the soil to ensure all my veggies can grow at their full potential?? Thx

Compost, compost, compost! It's rich in nutrients and will keep your soil loose and water retentive. Start this spring by spreading 4-5 inches of organic matter over the vegetable bed. You can use compost, aged manure (fresh manure can be too hot and might contain weed seeds), shredded leaves or whatever organic matter is readily available. Dig or till this organic matter into the soil - 8-10 inches deep. Plant your veggies and mulch over the bare soil between the plants with additional organic matter. A 2-3 inch layer will help suppress weeds and slow water evaporation. At the end of the season dig the organic matter into the soil and add a fresh layer. Repeat this process annually and you'll end up with rich garden loam - and a spectacular vegetable garden. Hope you have a bountiful harvest!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"