New townhouse with small backyard - Knowledgebase Question

Denham Springs, LA
Question by lriley14
I have just purchased a new townhouse which has come with a small backyard. Either side is bordered with a wooden fence but the back is open to a lake. The yard is apprx. 28' X 25'. It was sodded before my purchase. It will receive full afternoon sun. I like the tropical look and lemon trees. Do you have any ideas what I could do with this space keeping the price minimal?

There are lots of perennial plants with lush foliage to give your new yard a tropical look. Perennials are more expensive than annuals, but they grow for 3 or more years so once you've made your investment, you'll have the plant for a long time and most perennials can be dug and divided so you'll have lots of new plants in the years to come. Lily of the Nile (Agapanthus species) are a good choice, as are Tropical Jasmines (Cestrum species), Gerbera Daisy (Gerbera jamesonii), Croton, and Firecracker Plant, Coral Plant (Russelia equisetiformis). Visit your local garden center to find plants that appeal to you = just check the care tags to make sure they will grow in full sunshine. Best wishes with your new garden!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"