pruning parsley? - Knowledgebase Question

El Dorado Hills, Ca
Question by mrsamfrost
I have italian parsley in my herb garden which does not die every winter - somehow it lives through the snow! The main stalk is quite thick and tall,is it ok to cut back the main stalk this early in the year in the hopes that the plant wil focus on producing leaves instead of height and seed? thanks for your help.

0

Parsley is a biennial plant and it can live through the winter months but the following year the stems will be woody and the leaves will be small and not as flavorful as they would be on a new plant. It's best to remove and replace the plants each spring. Or, if you'd like, you can allow your parsley to flower this year and drop its seeds into the garden. Late this summer and early next spring you'll have lots of new parsley plants.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"