AZALEA SHRUB - Knowledgebase Question

Huntsville, Al
Question by rnhoskins
I planted three azaleas shrubs last fall and two of the them seem healthy and are blooming nicely. One, however is not blooming and the leaves are brown on the tips and they also have small brown spots with a white center. Could you advise me on how to treat this plant to make it healthy again.
Thanks

0

It's really difficult to diagnose a plant problem without actually seeing it so I can only offer some of the most common azaleas problems. What you describe can be a result of poorly draining soils (soggy roots) or winter damage. Symptoms include browning of tips or margins of leaves, with the damage sometimes spreading to the center of the leaf. The south/southwest side of the plant is the most likely to be damaged by direct sunlight, but plantings also might be damaged by reflected sunlight. If the affected azalea is a different cultivar, it may be more sensitive to sun or wind than the others. I'd prune off the damaged leaves and stems. Azaleas spend the summer months developing flower buds for the next spring's floral display. Pruning now will encourage healthy new growth and (hopefully) flowers next year. Hope your azalea perks up soon!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"