Magnolia - Knowledgebase Question

New Windsor, Ne
Question by dolphinlover9
Late spring last year I was given a magnolia tree I planted it as soon as it came home the tree was doing well , was done flowering but kept its leaves. I transplanted it again the end of summer the leaves fell off then new ones came back. Now we are in mid April and there are no leaves but branches are red could the tree be dead? someone has the same tree same zone and it is full of flowers.

It doesn't sound as though your magnolia was able to establish its roots after the second move which may have made it more susceptible to winter damage. You should be able to scrape the bark from the tips of the branches. If you see green tissue beneath the bark the branch is still alive but your tree is sulking. If there's no green tissue, that part of the branch is dead. Keep scraping the bark lower and lower on the branch until you find live tissue and then prune the dead part of the branch off. Pruning should encourage a flush of new growth. I hope your tree is just sulking and is not dead!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"