Thinning out plants - Knowledgebase Question

Shalimar, Fl
Question by ghdrk03
I planted beans,and would like to know.when they say thin a crop do i pull the excess or replant them. radish,broccoli also Thank you

You can carefully dig and replant the excess or overcrowded seedlings. I use a table fork and try to get all the roots plus the soil clinging to them and then replant the whole mass in a new spot in the garden. This way I don't have to handle the seedlings so I won't accidentally bruise the stems or leaves. I just transfer the filled fork to the new planting hole and set it in. Be sure to water them well immediately after replanting. If the seedlings are just too close to dig up without disturbing the roots of the other plants you might want to sacrifice them by cutting the stems off at ground level. I use scissors for this process. It's a shame to cut these little plants down but I know that the remaining plants will have enough elbow and root room to grow to their fullest potential. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"