Lawn Irrigation Problems - Knowledgebase Question

Reno, Ne
Question by amykbrenner
I laid pvc pipe and installed 4 circuts for about 32 pop up heads for a new lawn. When I turned on each circut, the heads on that circut basically only oozed water, not giving enough to actually pop up the heads. All of the circuts were like that. But, my drip circuts work just great. What are some of the causes of this oozing of pop head water? Thanks, Amy

0

It sounds like there's not enough water pressure to fully engage the sprinklers on each circut. It could be that your pipe is too large (smaller diameter PVC will move water at a greater pressure) or you have too many sprinkler heads on each circut (for the amount of water your water system can supply). Or there may have been some soil debris in the pipe that has clogged the sprinkler heads, or there may even be a leak in the pipes or the connectors. If the system is still exposed you can easily check for leaks or puddles of water in the trench. You can also take off the last sprinkler head on the circut and flush the pipe (run the water until it flows out of the last opening) just to make sure the pipe is clear. You can also plug up a few of the sprinkler heads to force water to the open ones. This will tell you roughly how many sprinkler heads the pressure can actually support. About the only fix I can think of is to use pop ups that require less pressure (lower GPM). One more thought - check to see what size your supply line is. If you have a half inch line and you've attached a 3/4 inch PVC pipe, the water pressure will not be enough to fill that 3/4 diameter pipe. While I didn't solve your problem at least you have a few ways to figure out a fix. Best wishes with your sprinkler system.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"