sago palms - Knowledgebase Question

Folsom, Ca
Question by pj3618
I have 2 lg. sago palms planted in big pots. They are outside on my patio in full sun and now they have brown leaves and little light brown spots all over. Please help me I love these plants. PJ

0

Caryota, or Sago palms, are small to medium-sized palms that will tolerate full sun but grow best in sites shaded from hot afternoon sunshine. They prefer rich, moist soil. If your palms are acting differently than they have in the past, they may need to be fed, or they may need a deeper soaking than you are giving them. Periodic deep soakings will also leach salts away from the roots. Inspect the leaves from top to bottom. You may find spider mites (look for webbing between the leaf fans and the stem). An infestation of spider mites can turn leaves brown prematurely. To avoid the problem, hose the foliage down every few weeks to remove the dust and any spider mites that might have taken up residence. If you want to feed your palm, you can spread several inches of organic matter over the roots so the nutrients released as the organic matter decomposes will trickle down into the soil, or you can feed with a water soluable fertilizer such as Miracle Gro. Your palm may not start growing again until later in the spring, but if you feed it, and water it regularly, it should perk up. To make the plant more attractive, prune off any foliage that is completely brown but leave anything that's still green alone. Best wishes with your sagos.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"