New lawning - Knowledgebase Question

New York, Ne
Question by Kulachiti159
Last year I spread lawn seeds over seed bead but unwanted wids finaly killed my lawn. This year I want to buy grass blankit and lay over directly to soil. would you please suggest me how to prepair soil before place the sheet of grass. thank you.

To prepare your soil for your new sod, loosen the soil to a depth of about 4 to 6 inches with a shovel or a rototiller. Rake out the area, leveling as you go. If you have high spots, use a shovel to remove the dirt. Place that dirt in a wheelbarrow for use in the lower spots or to cover outside seams later. You also need to make sure to rake out any rocks as that will make it harder for the sod to take root.

Using a sod roller filled 1/3 full with water, roll the entire area to compact the soil and make sure all areas are level. If they are not, rake out again and then use the roller again.

When the area is level you can lay the sod.

Best wishes with your new lawn.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"