orange tree - Knowledgebase Question

Phoenix, Ar
Question by az_banta
my tangelo tree's leaves are turning yellow and falling at a rapid rate. I've fertilized and deep watered. tree is approx. 5 years old.

Although citrus trees are evergreen, the oldest leaves do eventually yellow and drop off. But they are quickly replaced by healthy new leaves. So if just some of the inner leaves are yellowing, it's because of the natural shedding of older leaves. If newer growth is yellowing, it can indicate overwatering or a need for fertilizer or iron (or both). On the other hand, if you recently fertilized, you may have applied too much which can cause the leaves to yellow and suddenly drop. Citrus should be fed 3-4 times a year with a specialized citrus food, in amounts as recommended on the label which will depend upon the size and age of your tree. If your soil is alkaline, which I suspect it is, you can use Ironite to help keep the leaves green. Again, apply in amounts and with the frequency as recommended on the label. Hope this information helps you determine just what's going on with your tree. Best wishes with your tangelo tree.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"