I need help finding the right hedge plant for Sputhwest Florida (inland) - Knowledgebase Question

North Port, FL
Question by james04268
I am looking for a globe-shaped or mounding shrub for a sidewalk hedge in southwest Florida. Zone 9. Need something that is pest and deer resistant. About 2 or 3 feet high max. We have had a couple days in the past two winters that have been below freezing for a few hours. Wiped out the hedge I had planted. Heavy rains produce sanding water at times.

Shrub should be pale green or towards yellow. Needs to be able to handle daily summer rain and summer tempertures in the mid to high 90s. Full sun.

Soil is mostly sand. Sabal palms and slash pines grow wild on the back of my lot. Would be nice to have flowers and seed for birds, but not absolutely required.

Dwarf Bottlebrush (Callistemon) meets all of your criteria. It's slow growing but very attractive and can be pruned to maintain the right size. Mine is 18" tall and wide at 4 years of age. Hummingbirds love the flowers. Dwarf Natal Plum (Carissa macrocarpa) is another suggestion. It has a mounding growth habit, remains evergreen, produces white flowers in the spring and red berries in the late summer. Hope one of these is just right for your landscape.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"