Railroad Ties - Knowledgebase Question

Jacksonville, Fl
Question by materl
Hello;
We recently placed railroad ties for our above ground vege garden. my husband said they were soaked in gas to make them last longer. wouldnt the gas effect my garden and if so what can i do to get rid of it.

michelle

0

Railroad ties are soaked in creosote and the chemicals will leach into the soil, so don't plant your veggie garden there! The chemicals are not safe any where near a vegetable garden and you may even have trouble getting flowering annuals and perennials to grow in the bed, as well. There's nothing you can do to the railroad ties to keep them from leaching their volatile chemicals into the ground so the best advice I can give is to put your vegetable garden in a different place in your landscape. If you don't have room for another garden, plant your veggies in containers and grow them on a deck or patio.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "