Flower Beds - Knowledgebase Question

Cleburne, Te
Question by waldronrepro
My flower beds have never been worked. I'd like to dig them out and replace with new soil. Is there an appropriate soil mix for my region and with the texas summer heat?

0

Although you can purchase packaged topsoil, I think a better way is to simply dig out the beds and amend your existing soil. Here's how: Start by removing all vegetation from the bed and spreading 4-5 inches of organic matter over the top. You can use compost, aged manure (fresh manure can be too hot and might contain weed seeds), shredded leaves or whatever organic matter is readily available in your area. Dig or till this organic matter into the soil - 8-10 inches deep. Plant, then mulch over the bare soil between the plants with additional organic matter. A 2-3 inch layer will help suppress weeds and slow water evaporation. At the end of the season dig the organic matter into the soil and add a fresh layer. Repeat this process annually and you'll end up with rich garden loam - and a spectacular garden. Hope you have a beautiful garden!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"