Houseplants - Knowledgebase Question

Tinley Park, Il
Question by heatherm1975
I have a tropical plant (sorry, I don't know the name of it) that is starting to turn yellow and brown around the edges. I just repotted it a week ago. Anything I can do to stop this process?

0

Overwatering is the usual cause of yellowing leaves and over fertilizing, chlorinated water or dry indoor air can cause brown tips on leaf tips. It could also be that you're dealing with an insect problem. You might want to carefully inspect the plant, especially the undersides of the leaves and where the leaves meet the stems. Look for insects or other signs such as webbing. Once you've ruled out any insect problems, the problem might be with your watering techniques. Plants in containers can develop air pockets within the root mass and no matter how much water you apply, it just drains through without wetting all the soil. To overcome this problem, periodically set the plants in a larger container of water and let them sit for about 15 minutes, or until no air bubbles rise to the surface. Then set them in the sink and allow them to drain. Allow the top inch of soil to dry out between waterings. Hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"