Specific Zones? - Knowledgebase Question

gilbert, Ar
Question by kellytabah
I live in Gilbert , AZ 85297 and need help determine what my specific zones are for the following:
USDA Hardiness Zones:
AHS Heat Zones:
Sunset Zones:

0

Phoenix is in zone 9 according the the USDA Hardiness zone, but this is based on average cold temperatures, not summer heat. The AHS (American Horticulture Society) has developed a plant heat zone map based on the average number of days above 86 (30C) which is the temperature in which plants begin suffering physiological damage from heat. Phoenix is zone 11.

The Sunset Western Garden Book zoning method is the most reliable. Sunset takes into consideration elevation and microclimates and I've found their plant lists to be most accurate. Sunset's zone is 13 for Gilbert. Here's a website from ASU cooperative extension that lists the best plants for our region. It's actually a backdoor to all their publications so just click on the category that interests you and you'll pull up a file: http://ag.arizona.edu/maricopa...

Hope you find it helpful.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"