Campanulas - Knowledgebase Question

kalamazoo, MI
Question by dfgquilter
I have some gorgeous blue campanulas.. about 18 inches tall.
Last year, in late fall, one died as the base got infected with bugs.
Just now, I noticed that one has purple marks on the green leaves and looks as if something is

Campanula are generally not bothered by pests or diseases. In fact, they are some of the most carefree plants around. It's possible the plant you lost last year developed crown rot from overly moist soil and the bugs were a secondary problem. Insects seem to seek out the sick and injured plants and begin recycling them - sometimes a little too early! Purple marks on green foliage can simply be that the leaves are immature and have yet to develop their green coloration, or it might be weather related (cold nights) or might even indicate a potassium deficiency in your soil. I'd feed the plants and monitor them on a daily basis. Water deeply when the top inch of soil dries out and keep mulch away from the stems of the plants to help avoid stem rot. Best wishes with your campanulas.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"