About Hydrangeas - Knowledgebase Question

Lufkin, Te
Question by dotties
About six weeks ago I purchased two hydrangeas from a local nursery. I planted them in a very well worked bed that I had prepared for them. The problem is that the outer edge of the leaves on both plants are starting to turn brown. I have never had hydrangeas before. Could you please tell me what I have done wrong.

0

Since your hydrangeas have been recently planted they are probably adjusting to their new homes. You can expect some unusual behavior for a few more weeks. The browning leaf tips can indicate overwatering or fertilizer burn or even be the result of windy conditions. When you water, water slowly and deeply, then allow the top half inch to inch of soil to dry out before watering again. If the leaves begin to get brown all over, pull or cut them off the plant to encourage it to grow healthy leaves and cut back on your watering. Eventually you'll find the right balance of watering then allowing the soil to dry slightly and your plants will thrive.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"