My daylillies aren't blooming - Knowledgebase Question

Walnut Creek, Ca
Question by vwaltjen
I planted some daylilies 3 years ago. They bloomed the first year but have not bloomed since. They are in full sun, clay soil that has been amended with soil amendment, the area around them get gorilla hair mulch every year. I live in Northern California.

I'm afraid I'm stumped! Full sun, amended soil, regular water - all the things daylilies need. The only thing that will keep them from blooming are immaturity (not in this case since they bloomed once for you), too much nitrogen fertilizer or over crowding. I think I'd be inclined to dig and replant them, just to stress them out a little. This might be all they need to shock them into flowering. Be careful not to plant them too deeply and make sure they are spaced far enough away from one another for adequate root growth. If they are planted too closely, or in a crowded bed they might have to compete with others for moisture and nutrients. Wish I had more suggestions to offer.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"