Coneflower Troubles - Knowledgebase Question

Knoxville, Te
Question by jason73
I have a coneflower bed that I thought was doing well and then about 2 weeks ago, I noticed that one of them (arrowed in photo) was really struggling. I don't know what happened to it, but all of its leaves are just drooping and it looks like it is starting to wilt, any suggestions?

I checked the photo and you're right, it doesn't look as though it's thriving, especially compared to the other plants. It looks as though the planting bed has a crown. Those that are thriving are on the sides of the bed - probably where the soil is more moist. Although you have some bark on the bed, I'd rake it away from the puny plant and make a watering basin around the plant and then water by filling the basin with water, allowing it to drain, then filling it a second time. Do this once or twice a week (depending upon weather). This will concentrate the moisture over the roots and allow it to trickle down and wet the entire root mass. If you don't see an improvement in a couple of weeks, dig the plant, amend the soil with organic matter and replant. Hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"