out of control mint - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Catelyn ONeil
Colorado Springs, Co
Question by newparents20
We moved bout a house in colorado springs, co july of 09. The previous owners had planted mint in the ground insted of a container. I want to get rid of the everspreading mint. where most of the growth is is the best spot in the yard to plant my primrose lilac. what can i do to get rid of the mint?

0

Mint is a formidible plant and is categorized as a weed. Because the plant sends out underground runners in all directions, it's built for survival. If you pull out as much as possible, raking the soil for small root pieces, and then put down landscape fabric or other sturdy mulch, you can control it, but it really can't be eradicated, even with nasty chemicals, unless you dig out every tiny remnant of root. Whenever you see it popping up, pull it up as best you can. Weed barrier fabric will only encourage it to grow beneath the fabric until it reaches the sunlight, but at least it will only emerge at the edges of the weed fabric and not in the middle of the bed. Once the weed fabric is in place you can cut holes to plant your plants.

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"