Squash Vine Borers - Knowledgebase Question

Valley, Pe
Question by jrcrooks1952
What is the best product HD carries to control these pests that kill my squash and pumpkin vines every year?

I have fought squash bugs in my gardens and here is what works for me. First, squash the bugs and their eggs. I tried going out every three days or so and squashing the bugs I found along with any of their eggs. Their amber-colored eggs are laid in clusters underneath the leaves, usually in the protected area between two leaf veins. If you are squeemish about squashing them, carry a container of alcohol and drop them into that. If you will set a board under the plants near the stem, you will find they like to congregate beneath it during the day. This makes them "sitting ducks"! A piece of aluminum foil laid around the stem like a mulch will also harbor them. Second, I spray occasionally with a pyrethrin/rotenone product. This is an organic option with good "knock down power" on the bugs. Or, use Bonide?s Total Pest Control. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"