Leveling the Lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Pasco, Wa
Question by smlindsay
My lawn has some low spots that all the water runs to, is there a way I can apply soil to the low areas and still get the grass under it to grow?

Probably the least expensive solution is to spread top soil over the low spots to help level the yard. You can spread it right over any grass that is growing in these areas. The grass will eventually grow through the topsoil if you apply an inch or less of soil to the low spots, allow the grass to grow through it, then add another inch or less of soil, allowing the grass to grow up through it. Repeat as often as necessary. If you want it to green up sooner you can broadcast grass seeds over the top soil. I've tackled a similar project and it isn't too difficult except for hauling the top soil (I used a wheelbarrow). I used a shovel to drop soil over the low spots, raked it around and then checked the level by dragging a 6' 2"X4" over the lawn. When I was satisfied I had filled in all the holes and ruts, I reseeded, sprinkled a thin layer of peat moss over the reseeded areas to help keep the grass seeds moist. Grass will sprout in 7-10 days if kept from drying out. In 4-6 weeks your lawn should look great. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"