Plant leaves turning yellow - Knowledgebase Question

Louisville, Ke
Question by tashaobannon
I have planted some daylily and the leaves are turning yellow, and look like they are dying, what should I do to help them grow. I have watered them everyday and use miracle grow.

You didn't say how long ago you planted your daylilies. If it was just recently, they are probably going through a little transplant shock. If so, they should perk up as soon as their roots become established. If they've been in the garden for a season or more, the yellowing might be from overwatering. Watering everyday can keep the soil too wet and kill the roots. Even though they are wilting and look thirsty, don't water every day. Give the soil a chance to dry out between waterings so oxygen can reach the roots. Water them, then wait 3-4 days and dig down into the soil to see whether it's drying out. If it is still moist an inch beneath the soil surface you won't need to water for another few days. Check again and then water when the soil begins to dry out. When you do water, apply water slowly so it can move down into the soil and get the roots wet. I hope your plants perk up soon!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"