How do I keep squirrels out of my flower pots? - Knowledgebase Question

Fishers, In
Question by djschier1
Every year I struggle trying to keep squirrels/chimpmunks from digging in my flower pots containing my annual plants. I have tried blood meal, chili powder nothing keeps these beasts out of the pots, what can I do??

0

The critters are just curious to see what might be planted in the containers. Here are some things to try: cover the soil surface with gravel, large mulch chunks, thorny branch trimmings, or chicken wire. I have the most success with crumpled chicken wire - the squirrels and chipmonks don't want to walk on it for fear of getting their legs caught. I crumple it up and then spread it out a little and set my containers on top. If you have about 12" of the crumpled wire carpet around each pot, the critters will stay away. Leave it in place for 4-5 weeks and the critters will stop visiting the containers and you can remove it. Hope it works for you!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "