day lillies - Knowledgebase Question

Chattanooga, Te
Question by kdavies1957
I asked why my day lillies are not blooming. You answered back and said they needed more sun or thinned out-neither is the case. About three or four years ago, I took part of my day lillies, planted little clumbs beside my driveway. The little clumbs have not bloomed since. I had some fire ants kill one little clumb. They look healthy; they just have not bloomed.

I'm stumped! If your plants are 3-4 years old they should be mature enough to produce flowers, especially if they are not overcrowded and are getting lots of sunshine. About the only other possibility is that they are getting too much nitrogen and not enough phosphorous. If you regularly feed them or if they are in a spot that's close to a lawn that is regularly fed, they may be getting too much nitrogen, which encourages green growth - at the expense of flowering. I'd be inclined to dig them up, amend the soil with some organic matter and replant them. The shock of being dug and replanted might force some additional root growth and make them bloom. Hope so!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"