Vegetable Garden - Knowledgebase Question

Rockville, Ma
Question by altmandebor
I would like to start a vegetable garden this spring. I have been working the soil but don't know if there is something I need to add to the soil (top soil, vitamins, etc.) to prepare it for the vegetable plants. Any recommendations would be great! Thanks!

You can enrich your soil over a period of years and end up with rich garden loam if you add organic matter. Start this spring by removing all vegetation from the area and spreading 4-5 inches of organic matter over the vegetable bed. You can use compost, aged manure (fresh manure can be too hot and might contain weed seeds), shredded leaves or whatever organic matter is readily available in your local area. Dig or till this organic matter into the soil - 8-10 inches deep. Plant your veggies and mulch over the bare soil between the plants with additional organic matter. A 2-3 inch layer will help suppress weeds and slow water evaporation. At the end of the season dig the organic matter into the soil and add a fresh layer. Repeat this process annually and you'll end up with rich garden loam - and a spectacular vegetable garden. Hope you have a bountiful harvest!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"