Fruit Trees - Knowledgebase Question

Zephyrhills, Fl
Question by dingsk
I live in Zephyrhills, Fl and our yard soil is sandy. What do I need to do to prepare a spot on my yard to plant a tangerine and/or valencia tree? I only plan to plant one of each. Thanks for your help.

Dave Canoy

One of each tree is fine. They are self-fertile and will develop fruit without a second tree around. You can amend your sandy soil with compost. Dig a hole twice as wide as the pot the tree is in and one and a half times it's depth. Mix the soil you've taken out of the hole with compost, then put some back into the hole and gently tamp it down, set the tree in the hole so it's resting at the same soil level as it was in the pot, then backfil around the sides with the amended soil. Water well to settle the soil. Best wishes with your new trees.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"