Container Gardening - Knowledgebase Question

Chittenango, Ne
Question by tcrobar
I have just purchased 2 dwarf alberta spruce shrubs and repotted them to larger pot in Miracle-Gro soil. What do I do in October to winterize them in pots so that the roots won't freeze?

0

There are a couple of ways to protect your containerized plants. One is to sink the pots into the garden where the soil will help insulate the roots. If that's not an option, you can wrap the pots with bubble wrap or burlap, or you can group all the pots together, wrap insulating material around the outside of the group and then pile shredded leaves or pine boughs over the entire group. Or, if you have a protected spot next to a wall or foundation of your home, you can group the plants together there and pile shredded leaves all around the pots and the top of the potting soil. Best wishes with your container garden!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"