Garden Soil Needs - Knowledgebase Question

Novi, Mi
Question by jfreers
I purchased a soil test kit at Home Depot. Used it yesterday, as we would expect the Alkaline registered high, Nitrogen and Phospherous did not give me a usefull reading.

Alakaline is pretty okay for Tomatoes, but how could I reduce it a little and increase Nitrogen and Phosperous ?

You can lower the soil's pH with an application of sulfur. How much you apply depends upon the current pH. For instance, you can apply one pound of aluminum sulfate per 100 feet of garden to change the pH from 7.0 to 6.5. If your soil's pH is 7.5 and you want to lower it to 6.5, you'll need three pounds. If the soil is 8.0 you can add 4 pounds of sulfur to lower it to 6.5. Be sure to mix the sulfur into the top six inches of soil. After you have planted your crops you can mulch over the soil between the plants with compost or aged manure. As it decomposes it will release nitrogen and phosphorus into the soil. Best wishes with your garden.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"