My First Garden - Knowledgebase Question

Hawley, Pe
Question by flfgal
My husband just built a raised bed approx. 3x8 ft. I want to plant herbs & veggies. What would be easy to grow? How much of each plant do you suggest? Also we have lots of deer around, what should we use to protect the garden?
Thank you.

As long as your new raised bed gets lots of sunshine, you should be able to grow any vegetable you'd like, with the exception, perhaps, of sprawling, vining squash and melons. They really take a lot of room and will easily outgrow a bed that's three by eight feet. Choose the veggies you and your husband enjoy eating. One or two tomato plants will probably be sufficient. If not, you can plant more next year! Peppers, leaf lettuces, green onions, radishes and carrots are easy to grow. Parsley, basil, thyme and rosemary are popular herbs for cooking so you might want to plant these, as well. Sounds like your biggest challenge will be with the deer - they love to munch on veggies. Fencing is probably the best defense against them. You can make cages out of chicken wire to protect your garden. I'd make two cages, each 3' deep by 4' wide by about 3' tall. You can set them over the plants and then easily remove them when it's time to work in the garden. Hope these suggestions are helpful.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"