How to restore blooms on hydrangas - Knowledgebase Question

East Lansing, Mi
Question by guggemossb
My hydranga plants did not bloom last summer. Should I cut them back every Fall? Is there special fertilize I should use to make them bloom?

The most common reason for non-blooming hydrangeas is planting in the wrong zone, followed closely by lack of sufficient sunshine. Hydrangeas need at least 4 hours of morning sunshine in order to bloom well. Big leaf hydrangeas bloom on new growth that develops on old wood. If your plants consistently freeze down to ground level each year, they may never produce flowers. If this is the case, you may want to replace them with a type that blooms on both old and new wood. Endless Summer is one such hydrangea and grows wonderfully well in your gardening zone. Hope this information helps you determine just why your hydrangeas are not blooming!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"