Peach Trees - Knowledgebase Question

Buda, Te
Question by tiggerandfro
I have 2 peach trees that are 3 years old. when I bought them they already have peaches on them. they have been in the ground 3 years and for some reason now they are losing all their peaches. the peaches are dropping off of their branches..Why?

Wish there were a concrete answer to your question! If the peaches are forming and then drop off, they may not be sufficiently pollinated. Peach trees are considered self-fruitful but the flowers need to be visited by bees or other insects in order for the pollen to be transferred from one flower to another. Lack of insect activity can be due to cold, wet weather while the flowers are open, or an over-use of pesticides in the garden. It's normal for fruit trees to go through a natural thinning process in early summer where some of the fruit is shed, but the tree should retain a majority of the developing fruit. About the only other thing that might cause the fruit to abort is an environmental or cultural stress of some kind. Hope this information helps you determine just what the problem might be.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"