tomatoes not growing - Knowledgebase Question

Miami, Fl
Question by maryneuzil
I live in South Florida and always have trouble growing tomatoes , whether from seed or buying them at Home Depot. They grow some but the leaves turn yellow , the plant looks sickly,and no tomatoes grow . I tried using organic soil and spraying with a copper spray this year but no luck.What do you think is the problem?

It may be that you are planting at the wrong time of the year. Florida (Zone 10) has two distinct growing seasons. Here, we plant in late August through the first week of March. Harvests start in November. March planted tomatoes can be harvested May-June. Nothing is planted in the garden during the summer months but planting begins again in late August for fall and early winter harvesting. Some of the varieties best adapted to south Florida include Big Beef, Early Girl, Sun Master, Better Boy ? nationwide favorite that does well in Florida. Resistant to Fusarium wilt, verticillium wilt, and root-knot nematodes. You might also try Manapal ? an old Florida variety with medium size red fruit, or Bragger. Good luck with your tomatoes!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"