mountain fire plant - Knowledgebase Question

delanco, Ne
Question by ascaramazza
We have one in the back of the house and it doesn't look as though it's alive. Nothing has bloomed on it. I can't tell if there are any small buds coming out on the branches. Our we to assume the plant is dead?? I hope not and if it isn't what needs to be done. thanks for any info you can give us on this plant.

0

Pieris japonica 'Mountain Fire' is an evergreen shrub. It adapts to growing in full sun to part shade in rich, well draining soils. Pieris is generally insect and disease free but the roots can be damaged if the soil remains soggy wet during the winter months. I'd prune the stems back to see if that prompts new growth. If so, your shrub will leaf out nicely this spring. If no new growth appears, the plant is probably beyond saving and should be replaced. Best wishes with your Mountain Fire!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"