Rose Of Sharon - Knowledgebase Question

Baltimore, Ma
Question by jaybluejay
Can I cut back my two Rose of Sharon bushes now? They are growing great, I've had them for two years, but they are overpowering my Clematis Vine that is between them. They have no flower blooms on them yet. I wanted to cut them down about half their height. They are about 7-8' tall. Thanks

Because it flowers on new growth of the season, Rose-of-Sharon can be pruned back hard in the spring. You may be surprised to learn that it can be cut back to no more than a foot or two from the ground without risk of injury. While you can use hedge shears to perform this major surgery, my recommendation is to selectively remove individual shoots to different heights with hand pruners or a small, folding pruning saw. This technique will result in a smaller plant while preserving a more natural form. However you choose to prune, your Rose of Sharon will respond with healthy new growth. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"