Azaleas - Knowledgebase Question

Baltimore, Ma
Question by jaybluejay
My second question of the day. :D my mom has several Azaleas that are beautiful on the top but seem to be dying from the bottom up. is there anything she can do to save them? they are about 40 years old!!

Azaleas can get leggy after a few years in the garden. Generally the top parts of the shrub shade the lower parts, which can keep them from developing new stems and leaves. If you lightly prune your plants after they have finished flowering you'll force new growth towards the center and lower down on the branches. One pruning session won't cure the legginess but annual pruning over several years will reduce the height and width of the shrubs while making it thick and dense. Best wishes with your renovation project!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"