Grass with white sprouts - Knowledgebase Question

Verona, Ne
Question by dudawedge
Im a new homeowner in northern NJ. My lawn has some base spots but some of the parts that are grown have grass with white sprouts coming from it, basically making my lawn look white. Looking online it seems as if its kentucky bluegrass, but I cant see grass just the white sprouts. What can I do to get a nice green lawn. Thanks!! Mike

Sounds suspiciously like the fungal disease Dollar Spot but you'll have to check closely, with a magnifying glass if necessary, just to make sure. Individual leaf blades may have a single lesion or many small lesions or be entirely blighted. Infected blades usually have a distinctive tan to purplish streak between the white and green portions of the blade. These white-banded blades are most evident between dead areas and green turf. If this looks like the problem, I'd suggest putting your lawn on a regular watering, feeding and mowing schedule. (Turfgrass under stress is more susceptible to dollar spot than properly maintained turf.) Since the disease can be spread through contact, I'd rake out the affected areas to remove the potential for spreading the spores. Be sure to dispose of the grass you've raked up and remember to bag the lawn clippings until all evidence of the infected blades disappears.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"