Green Peppers? - Knowledgebase Question

Oak Ridge, Te
Question by Pphillstratt
How do I get Green peppers to grow? In the past they have small peppers but never mature.
And the ones of the plants
are hard texture without taste.

0

Green peppers grow best in well amended soil and need at least 6 hours of direct sunshine each day in order to grow and produce. If the fruits are not maturing you may be planting too late in the season or not providing all day sunshine. The University of Tennessee recommends planting sweet peppers in May and suggests these varieties: California Wonder, Gypsy, Bell Boy, Golden Summer, Big Bertha, and Sweet Banana. You can start your seeds indoors to give your pepper plants a jump start on the season, or you can purchase transplants place in your garden. Plants that are about 4 weeks old when you set them in your garden will flower and develop fruit that much earlier. Start this spring by choosing the sunniest spot in your landscape and amending the soil with compost or other organic matter. I spread 3-4 inches of compost over the top of the bed and work it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. Plant your pepper seeds or pepper plants and when they are up and growing, spread another 2-3 inches of compost on the bare soil between the plants. This will help suppress weeds but also moderate soil temperatures and help slow water evaporation. Consistent moisture is important so water your garden thoroughly when the top inch of soil begins to dry out. Hope these tips help you grow great peppers this year.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"