sloping front lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Olympia Fields, Il
Question by nicalacw
My front lawn slopes backward from the street at about a 130-dregree angle. Results are good on the top and on the sides which are much flatter, but the sloped part tends to be thinner no matter what we do and, then, it is mushy at the bottom of the slope. Help!

0

I'm not sure there's an easy answer. Water will drain quickly down a slope no matter what you do. You might consider terracing the yard so you have a series of flat places for lawn or you may be able to solve the problem by aerating the lawn and then timing your watering so that what you apply has an opportunity to soak in rather than run down the hill. For instance, run your water for about 10 minutes (or until you detect runoff). Wait about 15 minutes, then run the sprinklers again for about 10 minutes. Giving the water a chance to soak in between the cycles will result in a less soggy area at the bottom of the hill. An alternative would be to have grass on the top and sides but grow a drought tolerant groundcover type plant in the area that's hard to water. Wish I had more solutions to share!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"