vegetable disease - Knowledgebase Question

tamarac, Fl
Question by kefei
my tomato is dying, because of root-knot disease.what can I do with it?

Root knot nematode is the cause of the problem with the roots of your tomato plants, and it is very difficult to control. Crop rotation is your first defense. Planting something other than tomatoes (peppers, okra, etc.) in the garden area will discourage the nematodes. Soil solarization is also something you can do to lower or eliminate the nematode population. At this point, remove and destroy the affected plants and cover over the garden plot with clear plastic for the summer. This solarization process should reduce the population of nematodes. Next spring plant something other than tomatoes in the plot. When you do plant tomatoes, be sure to plant nematode resistant varieties - or plant your tomatoes in containers using sterile potting soil rather than garden soil. Good luck with your garden!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"