mytle trees - Knowledgebase Question

west seneca, Ne
Question by jbsbtb15
i live in buffalo ny and i want to plant a mytle tree is it possible im my area. i hear they are not good in very cold winters tyvm for your help... jeff

0

Buffalo NY is in hardiness zone 5 and there are some new crape myrtle hybrids that will tolerate your winter weather. "Indian Tribe" hybrids, with names like Tonto and Seminole are the most cold hardy and might be worth a try. With good cultural care during the growing season, a crape myrtle may survive without any special protection during the winter months. Soil insulates the roots naturally and suitably adapted plants will survive cold weather. This means the top of the tree may die back to the ground in a cold winter but the established roots will survive and resprout from the ground the following summer. I think your best bet would be to plant the most cold hardy crape myrtle you can find in a sunny spot, but in a sheltered location out of the wind, and in the fall apply a generous layer of mulch over the root zone but not touching the trunk itself. You'll be taking a chance by planting a crape myrtle but if the tree is healthy, receives good care during the growing season and is protected from icy winds, there's a chance you can successfully grow one.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"