dark brown spots - Knowledgebase Question

Wilmington, De
Question by marlenem9
This afternoon I bought vinca vine at the 19810 Home Depot and tonight when I looked at it carefully I saw dark brown spots on all 12 plants. The cashier told me the plants just arrived in the store today.

Any idea what the spots are? Can it contaminate the geraniums and spikes that I plan to plant together with them tomorrow?

HOpe to get your answer right away!

Thanks, Marlene M

I can't diagnose the problem on your vinca without being able to examine the leaves. There's a possibility of botrytis (a fungal disease) but the spots might be the result of overspray and sunscald rather than a disease. Nurseries rarely ship obviously diseased plants so if your garden center received and accepted the plants that day, I suspect the problem is not a disease but is a cultural or environmental problem. I'd be inclined to plant the vinca. You can pull off the spotted leaves as you plant, just as a precaution. Vinca is a reasonably hardy and vigorous plant and should overcome the spotty problem. Best wishes with your vinca!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"