Peace lily - Knowledgebase Question

Wilton Manors, Fl
Question by bucaty
The leaves on my peace lily are getting progresively smaller and smaller. Why?

There are a couple of possible explanations, but the most common reason is too little light. Peace lilies tolerate low light but actually grow best in bright but still indirect light. In winter especially the light levels are naturally lower and this can slow growth. The next possibility is that the plant is older and has become overgrown and is losing vigor as a result. Division can help re-invigorate it. It also relieves crowding if the plant has grown very large over time. You can also try simply repotting it, either to increase the root space and/or sometimes the potting mix deteriorates over time and needs to be renewed. If you have not fertilized you may also want to do that. Use a water soluble fertilizer at the lower rate on the label and only during the time it is actively growing. Look for something like a general purpose 10-10-10 with minors or use a formulation for foliage container plants. I hope this helps you troubleshoot.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"