castor beans - Knowledgebase Question

Sheboygan Falls, Wi
Question by bsemph
I have some castor beans from last year's plant. How do I get them to grow. I soaked them in water and planted them, no luck.

If you stored them in an airtight container, in a cool, dark place, they should be viable and should sprout for you. However, they like warm air and soil temperatures so if you started them outdoors, it's probably too early to expect any results. You can plant them indoors now, though. Castor Bean seeds will germinate readily when planted 1/4" deep in moistened seed starting mix and kept at temperatures of 70F - 75F degrees. Expect the seeds to germinate in 15-20 days. You can harvest the mature seed pods at the end of the season to save and plant again next year. Be sure the seeds are completely dry before storing, and place them in an airtight container, in a cool, dark place until it's time to plant next year.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"