wilting hydrangea, and hardy azalea - Knowledgebase Question

new york, Ne
Question by liyna
i purchased both plants at home depot for my sunny fire escape, i read they like lots of sun. However when i put them in sun light they automatically start to wilt, when i bring them in my home they come back to life in the shade. the homedepot where i purchased the plants keeps all their plants in fairly dim light. how can i train them to learn to live in the sun?

0

Hydrangea naturally wilts in the hot afternoon sunshine but it recovers overnight and will look great in the morning. In order to bloom, it needs about 4 hours of morning sun but prefers filtered afternoon sun. If you have no way to provide afternoon sun, you'll just have to ignore the wilting. Your hydrangea will be fine - it will just look awful for a few hours each afternoon.

Hardy azalea can take full sunshine but if the plant has been grown under shady conditions, the leaves will scorch in the sun. Any new leaves that develop will be more tolerant of direct sunshine. Just be patient with your azalea and it will eventually grow new foliage that is more tolerant of the sun.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"