Bare, sloping area - Knowledgebase Question

Livonia, Mi
Question by bjiovan
I have a very large area under pines, and a slope, the entire width of my yard - about 40' x 15 at it's widest point. It's full of weeds now, how do I get rid of the weeds easily and what do I replace weeds with?

I wouldn't recommend using herbicides beneath your tree - the chemicals can damage the roots of your pine. So, dig them out, roots and all or try torching them. To kill weeds with a propane torch you want to hold the flame close to the weeds but not close enough to incinerate them. The idea is to heat the fluids within the leaves and stems so the tissues will burst. If you incinerate the weeds the roots will resprout but if the leaves and stems burst and the fluid escapes, the roots won't resprout - at least that's the process I use in my garden and it works for me!

The problem with planting beneath pines is that the surface roots will compete with other plants for moisture and nutrients. Since the tree has more roots, it always wins! With that said, some plants will tolerate growing beneath pine trees. Lily of the Valley, Hostas, Ginger, impatiens, carpet bugle (ajuga) and vinca minor are all good choices.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"