Ornamental Grasses - Knowledgebase Question

Vestal, Ne
Question by laraine47
Can you tell me if ornamental grasses seed themselves? I have an ornamental grass and there are shorter grasses coming up. I'm not sure if I should pull them or take a wait and see approach?

Most ornamental grasses are sterile but some do set seeds so I can't tell for sure what's popping up in your garden. You can wait until the blades get a little longer and then compare them to the grasses you are growing or you can pull up the weedy growth and divide your ornamental grass if you want new plants. That's usually the avenue I take. Grasses are easy to divide - just stick your shovel into the clump and dig straight down to remove a few inches from the clump. As long as the division has both roots and blades it will grow into a brand new plant. Best of all, you won't disturb the original plant and it will fill in the few inches you removed during the summer growing season. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"